commercials for the movie that flooded television. And in each commercial they always manage to say the phrase "...humans only use 20% of their brains." Normally I hear that it's 10%, but regardless it annoys the piss out of me. So, in honor of that, here are my top five phrases I hate:
1. We Only Use 10% Of Our Brains: I don't think I can criticize this any better than Cracked did, but this phrase has pissed me off long before I read that. Since high school I've known this stat was bull. We use all of our brain, we just don't use it all at once. Heck, there may even be parts of our brain where we don't even know what it does, but it's doing something.
I understand the appeal. Who doesn't want to think that locked within our brain is the secret to seeing through people's clothes? But, alas, it's not to be...because this phrase is utter BS.
2. I Don't Believe In Luck: I play poker. If in one night I take down huge pots because I have four-of-a-kind when my opponent has a full house and, later, I have a straight flush when my opponent has four-of-a-kind then I got lucky that night. Now, I understand the idea that no one is inherently luckier than anyone else or that nobody can be "born unlucky." But luck, chance, randomness, whatever you want to call it, does in fact exist.
3. It's A Free Country: I suppose the saying itself doesn't bother me aside from the fact that it's more accurate to say "it's a freer country." I mean, last time I checked I still can't kill someone just for looking at me funny (if only). Also, I'm not really free to rob a bank or even yell fire in a crowded theater. So while the USA provides more freedoms than most countries, it's still not completely free.
But, really, what bothers me the most about this saying is that people just use it as an excuse to be dicks. When the founding fathers decided to make this country "free," having you drive donuts in my front lawn and then yell to me from the driver side window "Hey, it's a free county!" before throwing an empty beer can at my face and driving off is probably not what they had in mind.
4. Live With No Regrets: I understand the sentiment of this phrase. Stop dwelling on your mistakes, move on, look towards the future, blah, blah, blah. But the fact is if you live with no regrets you're either lying to yourself or just plain stupid.
When I wake up in the middle of night and go to the bathroom but decide to keep the lights off so I don't hurt my eyes Gizmo-style only to have my urine splash back at me due to the lid of the toilet being down....well let's just say I can't NOT regret forgoing turning on the lights.
To say you live your life without regrets is to say you don't make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes...except for Optimus Prime. But he doesn't count...he's a robot.
5. Live Like There's No Tomorrow: Needless to say, living with maxed out credit cards and no pants isn't a viable long term life plan.